Updated: Dec 16, 2021
Now that my skin has experienced an herbal facial steam I can't go without it in my regimen, and neither will you! Continue reading for benefits of steaming and how to do it at home! Psst..check out our new Aromathera-Tea Facial Steam Blends! You can also do this without any herbs if you don't have any on hand.
Why have a facial steam regimen?
- Naturally detoxes/unclogs pores by pulling dirt, debris, and sebum to the surface to be expelled.
- Softens dirt, debris, and sebum making cleansing or exfoliating much more efficient and effective.
- Opens pores which allows for better product penetration when applying serums and creams within 5-10 minutes of steam (before the skin gets too cool and pores close back up)
- If you aren't able to see an esthetician to perform blackhead extractions monthly, you can steam at home to prepare the skin for an easier and less traumatic extraction.
- Pre-cleanses the skin! This is a great way to lift any thick layers make-up making it easier to wash off. This will help protect the skin from getting strip from over-cleansing.
- Helps with circulation
- Reduces blemishes and redness (try the Balance Steam blend!)
- Reduces pruritus (itchiness) (try the Harmonize Steam blend!)
- It feels amazing!
- Relaxes the mind and body. Makes for an amazing sleep-aid for those that struggle with late racing thoughts (try the Calm Steam blend if this is you!
Pictured Left: Balance, Middle: Harmonize, Right: Calm
- 1 large towel
- 1 large bowl/pot (stainless steel, glass, or ceramic)
- 2-4 Tablespoons our one of our Aromathera-Tea Steam blends
- Hot water
- A comfortable seating arrangement
Wash your face! If this is your pre-cleanse for make-up removal, cleanse after the steam and follow with a moisturizing oil.
Boil 2 cups of water
Put the herbs in your large pot or bowl
Set up your steam station with your towel. To protect my back I like to sit at my kitchen table and have the bowl on the table - optional to put something heat safe under the pot to give it more height if you are taller.
Wait about 3-5 minutes for water temp to cool a bit.
Pour hot water over herbs
Create a dome shape cover over your head with the towel. This helps keep the steam in and control the temperature. Hover the face about 6-8 in. over the pot/bowl and bring the towel over your head. Bring your face farther away from the water if needed. You don't want to suffocate your skin!
This should feel comfortable and you should be able to breathe deeply & easily. You can open the dome even more if needed.
Continue to steam for 10-20 minutes!
Pat the skin dry. Moisturize with Calm & Repair Facial Oil.
Frequency: 2-3x/week. Evening is best.
This will be the game changer your skin care regimen needs! Your skin will love you for it.
Licensed Esthetician, Owner
Products to try based on this post: Balance Facial Tea Steam, Calm Facial Tea Steam, Harmonize Facial Tea Steam